There are many gifted coaches working from a variety of backgrounds. However, nurse coaches are Registered Nurses, and bring a unique combination of education and experience to health and wellness coaching.
Coaching is a natural extension of nursing practice. Our clinical expertise includes an understanding of both the science of the human body – in both disease and healthy states, and of the daily health challenges that many people are living with. We are aware of the latest research regarding the stages of behavior change, the science of craving & addiction, the effect of mindfulness on the human brain, and the benefits of integrative practices. Just as importantly, we are grounded in the values of caring, healing, and compassion. The nursing profession is consistently rated #1 or #2 ‘most trusted professions’ regarding honesty and ethical practices -- our professional licensing holds us to high standards of care.
I was excited to find the Integrative Nurse Coach program, founded by international leaders in holistic nursing and nurse coaching, as it gave me tools and strategies to help people make real change out of that hope for a more balanced, joyful life.
Both counseling and coaching can be beneficial, depending on the situation and the degree of emotional/psychological distress involved. In general, psychological counseling or therapy helps clients to recover from their past wounds and move towards the healing of distress & freedom from psychological pain. Progress tends to be slower, as the client is dealing with issues that are often subconscious and complicated.
Coaching helps clients learn new skills and tools to build a more satisfying future. It focuses on hope and resilience, and is goal-oriented towards healthy behavior change. Growth and progress tend to be more rapid and enjoyable.
• We need to transform health care from a disease-oriented model of care to one that focuses on health & well-being at any age.
• We each belong at the center of decisions about our own health and well-being.
• Partnerships in health care are more effective when the professional is a partner with the client, and not the authority.
• Caring and compassion are part of the healing process.
• Our mind can be our greatest help – and also our greatest challenge – in becoming healthier.
• The greatest well-being at any stage of our life involves engaging the whole person.
It's an opportunity to reconnect with the vision of caring and healing that originally inspired you to become a nurse. Integrative Nurse Coaching was created by nurses, for nurses, based on a whole person model of care that addresses the biological, psychological, social, spiritual, cultural, and environmental aspects of health and well-being.
I’m proud to continue my collaboration with INCA as Associate Faculty, and hope to introduce many more nurses to this powerful way of partnering with people and communities for better health.
There are training programs taking place all over the USA.
In addition, our Integrative Nurse Coach Programs meet all of the CNE and coaching requirements for applying to become a Board Certified Nurse Coach (NC-BC).
• Healthier eating habits
• More regular fitness
• Mindful ways to manage daily stress
• Clarity and focus on life goals
• Navigating the challenges of chronic illness, or
• Better self-care for busy caregivers.Research shows that 50% of illnesses are related to health behaviors, and 40% of premature deaths in the United States are caused by lifestyle choices. As Nurse Coaches, we develop a coaching partnership with you where you are the expert. We create a safe space of trust that allows for self-discovery, and co-create a plan of action & accountability with you based on your hopes and goals.